For more than 150 years, Immanuel Lutheran School (ILS) of rural Courtland, Minnesota has been providing students a solid foundation in a Christian education while teaching the fundamentals of reading, writing, and arithmetic. During its history, the subjects may have changed but the focus is still the same – a foundation in a Christ-centered education.
ILS is a nationally accredited Christian day school supported by Immanuel Lutheran Church. More than 60 students attend ILS in grades preschool through 8th grade.
Beginning this school year, Young Investors (Y.I.) Stamps from the Lutheran Church Extension Fund (LCEF) are also offered at Immanuel. Stamps are the perfect fit and provide a hands-on tool to practice all that a Christ-centered education teaches a student. Students can learn to invest and help others at the same time. Y.I. Stamp Coordinator Mrs. Donna Bernau started the stamp program for students in October. LCEF sponsored a Y.I. Stamp kickoff after chapel at the school on Oct. 21, 2015.
Sharing the principles of Christian stewardship with young believers is important. Stamps help parents teach children the importance of giving back what God has shared with us, LCEF offers the Y.I. Stamp Program as part of the Young Investors (Y.I.) Club. This program supports many values of a Christian family. The money (stamps) that children invest in this program provide customized loans to help build, improve and expand facilities for Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod (LCMS) churches and schools.
In fact, Immanuel was able to build a brand new church with the help of LCEF loan funding. This means that thousands of LCEF investors, Y.I. stampers included, helped support Immanuel’s new construction via their investments. Now, it’s a joy to see ILS students beginning to invest via stamps and help other LCMS churches and schools just like them have the same opportunity to expand and grow. Read more about Immanuel’s mortgage burning celebration here.
Y.I. Stamp Program Features
A fun way to get any young investor (and adults too!) excited about saving money and building God's kingdom! Why?
- NEW! Encourage children and parents to check out the Y.I. Club Online Activity Center, at yiclub.lcef.org. With areas just for Little Lambs (ages birth to six), Mission Builders (ages 7-12) and World Changers (ages 13-18), the activities are age-appropriate and reinforce Bible studies and school lessons.
- Young people receive their own Y.I. Stamp Collection Sheet to start saving stamps, $1 at a time.
- When completed, the sheet is valued at $25—giving young investors enough money to become a Y.I. Club member and open a Y.I. StewardAccount®.
- Students ages 7-18 can earn up to $50/year in ‘extra credit’ for community service and good grades!
- Additions to the investments are not limited to stamps. Kids may invest other funds received as gifts or perhaps earned.
- Churches and schools new to the stamp program, will receive their first order of stamps FREE (up to a $100 value). (Subsequent orders will be charged.)
- All supporting program materials (excluding stamps) are FREE.
- Generally, the Y.I. Stamp Program is made available to families through LCMS congregations or schools with the help of a Y.I. Stamp Coordinator.
- Over the years, thousands of children have purchased stamps and invested nearly a million dollars with LCEF! They learn they can have a direct impact on growing God's kingdom while saving for their own future.
If your LCMS Sunday or day school is interested in offering Y.I. Stamps for your students, please contact Maria.Hendrickson@lcef.org or visit lcef.org for more information.